Eight Essentials We Believe
1. ABOUT GOD God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. God has eternally existed in three personalities: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.
Genesis 1:1, 26, 27; 3:22; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Corinthians 13:14
2. ABOUT JESUS CHRIST Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Jesus is co-equal with God. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. Jesus arose from the dead on the third day to demonstrate His power over sin and death. Jesus ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.
Matthew 1:22, 23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5, 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14-15; l Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 1:3-4; Acts 1:9-11; l Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13)
3. ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son. God is present in the world to make people aware of their need for Jesus Christ. God also lives in every Christian from the time the person receives salvation. God provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. God gives every believer at least one spiritual gift. As Christians, we seek to live under God’s control daily.
2 Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13; 14:16-17; Acts 1:8; l Corinthians 2:12, 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18
4. ABOUT THE BIBLE The Bible contains God’s word to us. Human authors, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, wrote it. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. It is inspired by God.
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 1:13; Psalm 119:105, 160; 12:6); Proverbs 30:5
5. ABOUT HUMAN BEINGS People are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like God in character. People are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although every person has tremendous potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin”. This attitude separates people from God and causes many problems in life.
Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a; Romans 3:23; Isaiah 59:1-2
6. ABOUT SALVATION Salvation is God’s free gift to us but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. When we turn from our self-ruled life and turn to Jesus in faith we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 14:6; 1:12; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1
7. ABOUT ASSURANCE Because God gives us eternal life through Jesus Christ, the true believer is given assurance of salvation that leads us to victorious living. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and enabling power of God that keeps giving us this assurance. God’s Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are indeed saved
John 10:29; 2 Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25; 10:10-14; 1 Peter 1:3-5
8. ABOUT ETERNITY People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation.
John 3:16; John 14:17; Romans 6:23; Romans 8:17-18; Revelation 20:15; 1 Corinthians 2:7-9